Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Getting Crafty

Eric and I love working on house projects.  We have redone everything in our home...  from the interior to the exterior.  I have never really loved our Master Bedroom though.  Everything I find for our bedding and accessories are either too feminine, or just plain cheesy.  The new trend these days in design, are chevron and ikat patterns and monograms.  I decided to get some help from Etsy to create a custom look for our new "trendy" room.

I ordered this pillow from Etsy, which is a beautiful Schumacher chevron fabric.  The colors coordinate well with our taupe walls, and are not too masculine or feminine.


I then decided to take advantage of pictures we already had hanging in our room.  The frames are chunky and in a perfect expresso finish to match our furniture, and the image is double-matted (which would cost a fortune to get done at a frame shop).  These pictures came from Homegoods for about $40 each, but the contemporary prints are not our style.


                                             (Here is a picture of one of them.  YUCK!!)

I took the back off the picture, and inserted a custom piece of paper with different patterns on them, which I had a vendor from Etsy create.  All I did was measure the space where the picture currently is (these are 14"X14"), and sent the vendor at Etsy the size and a picture of my new pillow for her to match up.  I then printed out my husband and my initials on resume paper, and glued it with rubber cement onto a piece of brown construction paper.  The last step was gluing the monograms onto the custom ikat papers.


(Here are the materials... mine (on the left) is almost complete!)

I then glued my finished product back into the mattings, and put the frames back on...  and Voila!!  For just under $30, I have beautiful customized artwork.




To find some great custom pieces, log onto www.etsy.com.   But, don't blame me if you get hooked ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment