Saturday, June 16, 2012

Flexibility

When I decided to go back to school and get my teaching degree, one of the things I heard over and over again was that if I wanted to be a teacher, I had to be flexible and willing to cope quickly with varying situations.  I think this is one of the attributes I have taken with me into my personal/mommy world and used (oh.. so very) often.

Yesterday started off as a normal Friday.  Gym in the morning and then off to the pool (to make sure the superheroes were worn out for nap time - hence my last post). By 8:30 am, my husband was already in the Emergency Room.  At 12:30 pm,  I had an "emergency" of my own.  Long story short, but I had an impromptu telephone interview while I was at the pool, and the superheroes were stuck to fend for themselves during my phone call (add this to my 'Mom of the Year' award!)  Thankfully, Blair and another one of our favorite babysitters arrived at the pool, and occupied my boys so I could finish my call.  We left the pool 2 hours later, picked Eric up from the Emergency Room, and went home.  This moment was the beginning of having to take care of an additional person for the next 8 plus weeks.  My husband had crashed into another bicyclist on a path near our home.  He was sent home from the Emergency Room with both of his collar bones broken, and an appointment with an orthopedic doctor to see if he needs surgery.  He basically cannot move the central part of his body up to his neck.  No making dinner or even heating up any food for that matter, no ease of showering, shaving or brushing his teeth, no golf or working out, and most likely no Florida vacation in a few weeks.

Well, in the midst of all of the chaos, my 5-year old niece was on her way over to spend the night for the first time.  I cancelled on her last month when she was supposed to spend the night for the first time due to Colton's first battle with the flu.  Canceling again on her was not an option.

My parents brought her over my house around 6:00, and Mimi bathed Juliana and Colton while I fed Blake and put him down to sleep for the night.  I then ran to the Giant, grabbed Eric's prescription pain medicine, and came home to give him his meds and make sure he had enough frozen ice packs.  Then it was off to hang out with the clean kiddos.  We played Hide-And-Go-Seek, watched Nemo and ate popcorn, and then settled down to go to bed after reading the Backyardigans.  J & C decided they wanted to sleep together on the floor, but I had to "divide" the bed in half with a comforter so they would each have the same amount of bed to sleep with.

 (Here are my loves in the morning.  The blue comforter was the divider... I wasn't kidding!)



                                        ( ... and hanging out in Blake's crib when he woke up)


So, let's see what the rest of the summer holds for us.  Eric has his doctor appointment Monday, and I am praying for the best.  I know his golf clubs are going to miss him ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment