Wednesday, July 11, 2012

"We have a Situation!"


First off, I would like to give a shout out to my favorite reader, J.J.!  LOL!!

In 10 more days, my boys will both have their birthdays...  yes, they are on the same day.  If you are thinking of asking me the stupid insightful question of "Did you plan it that way?", please don't.  If I was that good with making plans, I would've planned to win the lottery years ago, and would now have an assistant writing these blogs for me ;)

No... my boys' birthdays were not planned to be on the same day at all.  My son Colton (3) was born 2 weeks early on July 21, 2008.  My son Blake (almost 1) was born 3 days early on July 21, 2011.  We tried for awhile each time I got pregnant, so the dates or even times of the year was a total fluke.

But, I do think it's cool that they share a birthday.  Eric is an identical twin, so they will always be like their Daddy and share a birthday with their brother.  AND, my only sister shares the same birthday with his only sister on May 29 (different years, but still pretty cool).

For the past 3 years, we have always had a bunch of friends over, set up a moonbounce in our backyard, and cooled down with lots and lots and lots alcohol.  This year, since Colton is old enough to know what he really wants, we are going to have a pool party with a ("CAN YOU GUESS?!?")  of course, a superhero theme.

The theory I try to stick with on many occasions is the KISS theory (Keep It Simple Stupid!).  I used to put tons of energy into things and throwing parties, but honestly, who notices if the plates match your theme, if the beer served is in cans and not bottles, and the food is generic.  OK- my shallow *ss might notice, but the theory really helps me not go to crazy and just relax and enjoy the entire process.


So today, 10 days out from their party, a thought crossed my mind. A serious situation!  I have 2 little kids, lots of friends with kids, and have taught in elementary schools for 3 years now.  So, I have seen my share of gross things kids do.  Anywho... I have already bought a few bags of chips for the big day, but wet, slimy, dirty kid's hands digging in those bags, completely grossed me out. So, I decided to get my oldest superhero to help. 

Our supplies:
Chips, "Super Chip" labels, snack bags

Empty Diaper box, tape, scissors, wrapping paper and cut-out superhero sayings
 (rubber cement, large Super Hero Snacks label, and painting tape not pictured)

And of course, a CUTE superhero assistant


We started out wrapping the diaper box, white side out (sorry Santa!).  Colton helped me cut out the superhero expressions (I found them on a google search for superhero parties) and glued them onto the box with rubber cement (my favorite adhesive...  the excess just rubs right off of fingers and/or the surface).


We even helped clean up!


He loved using the rubber cement.  Look who is watching!  The little superhero and our dog Rusty.

Colton read to me every expression, before gluing them onto the covered diaper box.


We then put 'personalized' labels on the snack bags (Super Chips: BBQ, Super Chips: Regular, and Super Chips: Sour Cream).  The day of the party, we will fill each bag, so our guests can just grab a bag, and not worry about mushy, germ-infested chips.  I know...  GROSS...  but if you have kids, you get it.


Take a look at our finished box!  We will fill the box with the chip bags, and it will be super-easy to transport them into the party.  And, I love the fact that my superheroes helped me.  Why shouldn't they..  It's their big day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment