Monday, February 25, 2013

Aunt Sara's (90th)

My grandma's sister, or my great-Aunt Sara, turned 90 yesterday.  Though she doesn't like to admit her age to us (and threatened at the party if anyone did they were "out of the will"), we celebrated this special birthday with family, at her daughter Sherry's home.  We chowed down on some salads and dessert, caught up on our lives,  opened gifts, and had a really nice afternoon.

Aunt Sara is an amazing woman.  She worked for many, many years in a preschool which she owned, and taught students how to read at age 4, who really did not have a chance at a great education.  Aunt Sara and her husband (Uncle Jukey), who passed a few years ago, took my mom, grandma, and uncles under their wings when my grandpa suddenly died when my mom was 4.  Aunt Sara NEVER complains and is the busiest, most independent 90 year-old that I bet lives.  She does not rely on anyone to help her out, is always on-the-go, has such a sharp mind, and a super-positive attitude.  I am always amazed that when I tell her a story, she makes a total connection of what I am speaking about.  She is exactly a half of a century older than me, and I am so fortunate to have her in my life, since I haven't had any grandparents in 37 years.  Let me restate that...  anyone who knows her is lucky to have her in their life.  She is an incredible and remarkable woman.  I can only hope to be as "spicy" as Colton would say when I am her age. 



Ilene, Aunt Sara, Sherry, Mom, Phyllis, Rozie and Harriet

Aunt Sara's daughter and her great-grandchildren
Julia, Alyssa, Dexter, Sherry, Madi

Me, Karen (her granddaughter and my cousin), Aunt Sara, Jennifer

Sherry had 2 boxes with some old family photos at her home, which she took out for everyone to look at.  I LOVED looking at these pictures.  I have to say...  besides seeing how BEAUTIFUL my family is, I am kinda infatuated with the formal clothes people wore on an everyday basis.  My staple yoga pants and cotton shirts make me feel like a "new generation slob".  lol...

Enjoy the pics!

These are my mom's parents.  I love them so much...  Never met my grandpa, but feel a bond with them ever night when
I pray.  Look how great they look too!

Check out Aunt Sara and Uncle Jukey...  woo, woo

Here is my Uncle Maury-  So cute!!

My mom and her two brothers (Uncle Ira and Uncle Maury)

The pictures above and below are of my mom (the older girl) and Sherry.  I need to upload a picture of me as a child,
because I look identical to my mom.



Have you had a family get together lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment